Saturday 30 January 2010

Bathroom Suit(e)

The "experts" will always tell you to make a bee-line for charity shops in well-to-do areas but in my opinion that's misguided, do so and expect stiff competition and higher prices as the well-heeled volunteers know their labels. It's better to head for more down-at-heel, less trendy areas where the locals buy second-hand from need rather than style, where practicality is prized over glamour so prices are low and pickings rich.

Earlier today I picked up this 1950's "Emgee, London" suit for £4 and the TopShop t-bar shoes for £2.95.


Never worry about sizing in charity shops, pick out what you like and try it on. Items are often incorrectly labelled and due to our ever-expanding waistlines a vintage size 12 is the equivalent of our modern UK size 8. My suit was marked by the volunteer as a Size 6, but fits like a glove and as the shoes are leather and pre-worn I got away with a size smaller than usual.
 

14 comments:

  1. Love the outfit!! and the photos.

    Was the compact a charity shop find? It's gorgeous!
    And I love that giant green bottle behind you.

    x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow amazing finds and I love your chair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kel! I found the compact in an old handbag I bought at a boot sale - it's Statton, which is a great name to look for.
    The green glass jar was a 21st pressie, it was my mum's 21st present, too.
    Vix
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Daisy! The chair was rescued from a skip and gives the bathroom a bit of a regal touch.
    Vix
    xxx

    PS Meant to say STRATTON was a great name to collect but my finger slipped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the shoes, the colour is fab. You are 100% right about the charity shops, its much better to avoid the well to do ones. I've got to say your house is exactly how i would love mine to be! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOhhh! I love your bathroom!! It looks like a sanctuary for beauty and comfort. Very amazing suit as well, I love the fur trim ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vix, you look gorgeous as always. This outfit reminds me of the wonderful costumes on Mad Men - do you ever watch that? I'd really recommend it, it's a fashion feast!

    Great tips about charity shop shopping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your purchases were brilliant and the idea to model them in your bathroom , totally inspired ...love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great finds as always! Is crazy how the sizing has changed so much in the space of 50-60 years! Loving the idea of the chair in the bathroom, may have to pinch your idea and go on the hunt for one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Très chic!
    You look so sophisticated in that outfit, I love it & what a stupendous bargain too.
    As regards to charity shopping in well-heeled areas; as a rule I don't even bother with posh Mary Portas-esque charity shops cause like you say volunteers are usually quite label aware. I stick to the “ghetto shops” (larf larf) run by the lovely purple rinse brigade who will sometimes charge more for 'George of ASDA' than 'Giorgio Armani'.
    ...xXx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous pictures ! You're so so pretty !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for all those lovely comments, everyone!

    Vix
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and for leaving a message. Please don't be anonymous, I'd love it if you left a name (or a nom de plume).

Lots of love, Vix